Have a look at the video: Creation: God makes - it is a talk (about an hour
long) by Mark Driscoll, which summarises the doctrine of creation, explaining
the following 6 models,
- Historic Creationism
- the earth was created and is very old, then over
the course of 6 days God prepared the earth for life, and mankind is
young (i.e. mankind has been around for thousands of years - not
hundreds of thousands or millions)
- Young Earth Creationism
- God made everything in 6 literal days,
including the heavens and the earth. The earth is young, mankind is
- Gap Theory -
the earth was created and there is a gap (maybe of billions
of years) between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. Therefore the earth is
very old and mankind is young.
- Literary Framework View
- the earth is very old, mankind is young.
Genesis is poetic - they are not 6 literal days and the order that things
actually happened is different.
- Day Age View
- the earth is very old, mankind is young. They are not 6
literal days, but each "day" is a long period of time.
- Theistic Evolution - God worked through the evolutionary process, the
earth is very old and mankind is old.
In addition to the six creation models described in the talk, there is the
model of Atheistic Evolution, which excludes God ...
- Atheistic Evolution
- All life forms descend from common ancestry. The
fossil record explains this descent. Natural selection is the key
mechanism leading to a process of gradual change over a long period of